Robert Benjamin
Licensed Immigration Adviser


Licensed Number

Work Visa

  • you have a job offer from a New Zealand employer
  • there is a specific purpose or event for which you need to come to New Zealand to work
  • you are a student or trainee who wants to work here, or
  • you want to join your partner here and work.

Working holiday

If you are aged between 18 and 30 years you may be eligible to experience life in New Zealand on a working holiday

Seasonal work in the horticulture and viticulture Industries

We have several different policies for people who want to do seasonal work planting, maintaining, harvesting or packing crops in the horticulture and viticulture industries.

Silver Fern Policies

The new Silver Fern policies allow applicants who come to New Zealand to find skilled employment and then apply for a Silver Fern Practical Experience  visa to stay and work in New Zealand longer.
There is a limit of 300 places per year. You must be outside of New Zealand, be aged between 20 and 35, and meet all of the qualifications requirements, English language requirements, and have enough funds support yourself during your stay. The application process and payment is to be completed online.  
Silver Fern Job Search holders who successfully find skilled employment in New Zealand may apply for a Silver Fern Practical Experience visa. This will allow them to work in that employment for up to two years.

Work visa: If you are offered a job that cannot be filled by a New Zealander and the New Zealand employer is willing to "sponsor" you, then it may be possible for you to apply for a work visa.

Work to Residence and Residence from Work

The Work to Residence category allows you to get a temporary work visa as a step towards gaining permanent residence. Applicants may be qualified in occupations that are in demand in New Zealand, or may have exceptional talent in sports or the arts. The Residence from Work category is for people who are already in New Zealand on a Work to Residence visa and want to apply for residence.
If you are a key employee of a business that is relocating its operations to New Zealand, you can apply for a work visa and later a residence visa under our Employee of a Relocating Company category.
Talent (Accredited Employers) requires an offer of employment from an Accredited Employer with a salary in excess of NZ$55,000 p.a.may apply for residence after 2 years continuous employment.
Talent (Arts, Culture and Sports) Work Policy visa is provided for applicants who will enhance the quality of New Zealand's accomplishments and participation in your field of art, culture or sport. You may apply for residence after 2 years continuous active engagement.
If you obtain a work visa to allow you to work for an employer in New Zealand in an occupation on the Long Term Skill Shortage List, you can apply for residence under Long Term Skill Shortage List Residence Policy provided you have worked continuously for that employer for 24 months and comply with the policy requirements.

Back to Top

Visitors to New Zealand

Some people need a visa to enter New Zealand, and some don't. If you are not from a visa-free country, you will need to apply for a visitor visa before you come to New Zealand.


When you apply for a visitors visa, the requirements are: 

Your passport must be valid for at least three months past the date you are to leave New Zealand.
You will need to provide proof that you have plans and the means to leave within the period of your permit. Suitable proof may include:

  • actual travel tickets (confirmed or open-dated) out of New Zealand to a country which you have the right to enter; or
  • written confirmation from an airline or travel agency that onward travel has been booked and paid for.

You will also need to prove that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay. This means you have a minimum of: 

  • NZ$1000 per person per month of the visit, or
  • NZ$400 per person per month if accommodation has already been paid for - we will require proof of prepayment, such as hotel prepaid vouchers.

The maximum stay under a visitor visa is nine months. As visa-free conditions only last for three months (or six if you are from the United Kingdom), you will need a visa for any longer stay.

Special Visitor Categories

The following special categories, require extra evidence or special conditions.

  • Antarctic travellers
  • Applicants seeking occupational registration
  • Business visitors
  • Children adopted overseas
  • Children to be adopted
  • Conference delegate
  • Crew members joining vessels or aircraft
  • Culturally-arranged marriage
  • Dependent children of New Zealand citizens and residents
  • German law students and graduates
  • Group visas
  • Tour guides working while in New Zealand, will need to apply for a Specific Purpose work visa, before arriving in New Zealand. 
  • Multiple entry visitors visa for parents and grandparents of New Zealand citizens/residents
  • Parents and guardians of students
  • Partners and dependent children of student or work visa/permit holders
  • Partners of New Zealand residents and citizens
  • Seeking medical treatment or consultation
  • Sports Events
  • Temporary Retirement Category
  • Travelling by private yacht or aircraft
  • Visiting Media Programme
  • Work permit holders dismissed during a trial period
  • Contact Achieve Immigration Limited for advice on requirements for these special categories.

Back to Top

  Resident Immigration  Temporary Immigration  Student Visa   Others
  Skilled Migrant  Temporary Work  Student   New Zealand Information
  Family  Temporary Visitor   Contact Us
  Work to Residence